Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Welcome!

My name is Shemeca Woods. I am a MAT-M participant and I am very excited about this program.
I am a SpEd A.T. at a middle school and I thoroughly enjoy working with my students. I tutor 6-8 grade students in remedial mathematics and language arts. Last year I decided it was time to get serious about my future. A few of my students mentioned that their mathematics teacher was retiring and that they wanted me to become their new mathematics teacher. (If it was only that simple!) They really tried to sell me on how great a math teacher I was and how this was the perfect time for me to get my own class--one that I didn't share with another teacher. This was a real eye-opener for me. Even my students recognized that I was not living to my maximum potential. I was always encouraging them and showing them that I believe in them, and now they were returning the favor. I know that I work just as hard as the certified teachers, yet my pay is 1/3 of theirs.
I signed up to take the PRAXIS I last spring, the PRAXIS II  this year, and the GRE last month. My next plan was to contemplate which alternate route to teaching I should pursue. I graduated from Mississippi University for Women in 2008 with a B.S. in Legal Studies. A couple of years prior to graduating, I realized that I loved being in the classroom. I had come so close to completing the Legal Studies program that I had to finish. I was a really good Legal Studies student, but I didn't feel that same sense of satisfaction working in a law office as I did teaching in the classroom.  
After checking out several schools and their alternate route to teaching programs, my school of choice was and is Mississippi State University. I was officially admitted into the MAT-M program, after being a thorn in the side of many, on last Friday. I was very surprised and thrilled! (Thanks for being so understanding, and patient with me and my persistence, Mr. Alred.) 
 I am a single mother of two beautiful girls who are watching me constantly! I am a good mother and I plan to prove to them that hard work really pays off---not just say it.  Earning my teacher certification and master degree are just the foundation upon which I plan to build my legacy to my children.
I expect to learn a great deal of useful information on understanding and better relating to my students. I think that being able to understand your students and recognize their strengths as well as weaknesses, all while motivating them to exceed even their own expectations are characteristics of an exceptional teacher. I hope that this class helps me to become closer to that type of teacher.

3 Things Middle School teachers do that I think are beneficial to the overall learning experiences of middle school students:
  1)       Middle school teachers help to establish a student’s self-worth through encouragement   and guidance.
         2)      Middle school teachers strive to teach not only the core requirements but life skills as well.
          3)      Middle school teachers lay the foundation for a successful high school career.

3 Things Middle School teachers do that I think are detrimental to the overall learning experiences of middle school students:
1)       Middle school teachers help students transition from elementary school to high school.
2)      Middle school teachers help you to find your talents.
3)      Middle school teachers help you to become more independent and self-assured.

All that I have to offer the class community is my prior experience and my personal opinion.  I hope that by sharing each other’s experiences, concerns, and fears, we will grow as a class.

~Shemeca~ 


3 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like you are going to make a great teacher and we have something in common... we are both W graduates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the program Shemeca. Your experience in the middle school as a teaching assistant will be invaluable to you. I know you will be able to provide others with great insight into working with middle school students.

    I actually worked at a law firm (legal services marketing) before I decided to return to school to earn my teaching license. It was not satisfying for me either. I never regretted my decision to go into teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the bit about your students telling you to try for more. That is a very neat story.

    ReplyDelete